Thursday, July 04, 2013

Confessions Of A Bagaholic

Disclaimer: This post is not meant to brag but just to share my obsession/passion/interest in fashion particularly bags (I believe bags make a fashion statement too). And yes, Im a huge fan and enthusiast of designer bags and accessories

I have always liked the finer material things in life (yes, I’m a Material Girl. You can blame capitalism for that), something which Mummy encouraged (her advice always ran on the lines of: ‘Don’t be stingy with yourself. If you earn good money, spend on yourself and buy good quality things’) and which prompted Akak to say ‘She always wants branded stuff.’

Well, as Shakespeare put it: Self-love, my liege, is not so vile a sin as self-neglecting.

When I started work, I first used a Next bag I purchased in England solely for work purposes. Akak also gave me a bag she brought over from Japan and I used that bag too (until one day I found some bastard had sliced through the bag. He didn’t get anything though) before changing bags. I had since used high street brand bags (Morgan, Guess, Pepe Jeans) and even unbranded bags to work. My principle is unbranded is better than a counterfeit bag anytime any day. And if I couldn’t afford it yet, I would save up until I could afford it and not buy a fake counterfeit version of it.

My first branded designer bag is from Christian Dior. I spent some time agonising if I should purchase it before finally taking the plunge. It is a small to medium size leather bag with adjustable ‘button’ strap and it looks like the bag below, in the exact same colour. It has a magnetic flap to open and close the bag. I still have and use it to this day and the CD logo still shines. Truly vintage.




I then went heavily into Gucci and to date I have at least a dozen Gucci bags ranging from the usual hobo bags to Boston bags in various finish, sizes and colours, from backpack, sling bag/cross body (like the Louis Vuitton Bloomsbury but with flower print), small totes and shopping totes.


My Gucci flower crossbody looks similar to this (the prints show differently on each piece). I have to be very careful with the vachetta leather bit though


I also ventured into other brands like Valentino, Bally, Celine, Ferragamo, Fendi and Mulberry (one bag each of various sizes and designs), Tod’s (two bags) and Prada (four). I think that’s enough for those brands for now. I also have a few pouches and small leather goods from Bally, Ferragamo, Gucci, Prada and Tod’s. I just love pouches!

As for Louis Vuitton, I only like certain materials and designs of the brand. I don’t like the monogram canvas because I feel it’s too common and too easily faked and this has put me off LV for a very long time. I’ve only started buying LV last year and only have a few pieces (Vernis Pochette, Neverfull MM, Speedy Bandoulière 30 and Bloomsbury PM). I don’t really plan to venture beyond but hey, never say never.

And here’s another confession: I’m slowly weaning myself off Gucci. I have enough Gucci bags for now to last me a lifetime, syukur Alhamdulillah. It’s not that I suddenly hate the brand, no, in fact I will still invest in their accessories and small leather items. But I’m now focussing on investing in Chanel.

For my travels, I prefer using LeSportsac bags and Longchamp Le Pliage or the more casual Gucci sling/cross body or backpack or the Prada sling/cross body - depending on the destination and duration of travel (for my Europe trips, I also use my durable Samsonite backpack). 


My Samsonite Swoop looks exactly like this


And hey, a girl can never have too many bags (or shoes and accessories for that matter!). Besides, I can leave them behind for my sister and my two nieces. One thing though: I dislike Coach for the same reason I dislike LV monogram canvas. And they are all Made in China. Coach bags cost a lot less than other brands but why pay that amount for something Made in China? Might as well buy from Furla or Ferragamo which offer similarly affordable bags and yet all Made in Italy.